About the club
It is reported by local historians that tennis was first played in Tockwith in the 1950's. So, Tockwith Lawn Tennis Club was first formed, playing in local leagues to some standard.
The 60's saw the grass court become somewhat under-used and it was taken over for flat green bowling.
In 1977 the thriving bowls club and its volunteers constructed a new purpose built, competition standard green. This can be seen today. The old green was redeveloped once again into two grass tennis courts.
A formal committee was formed in 1992 to ensure the courts were maintained and to prevent them falling into disrepair. A huge fundraising exercise resulted in a temporary tarmac surface and ultimately an all-weather surface was laid.
Recognition must go to those few volunteers that made this possible.